Principles of Uncertainty

 Sophia Starkey 

Dr. Ellis

EN 346D 

19 March 2023

Principles of Uncertainty Response

            The idiosyncratic inner monologue that Maira Kalaman presents is exceptionally relatable and incredibly touching. She constantly is in a tug of war with Time and what anything means if it all disappears one day. She recollects “the realization that (you/me) going to die and the attending DISBELIF- is not that the central premise of everything? It stops me dead in my tracks a dozen times a day. Do you think I remain frozen? No. I spring into action. I find meaningful distraction” (46). I, too, have had the inevitable dread about the deeper meaning of everything I am doing and how my worries and anxieties are nonsense because they cannot change a thing. Her mention of meaningful distraction is so prevalent in finding meaning and purpose. I, too, can appreciate the beauty and elegance of fruit platters or sitting in a garden. Some things do not need to be pressing. Everything is not a fire drill.

            It is nice to smell the flower or watch the elderly couple that remains in love after all these years sitting in a city. You really can experience the good of humanity. You see the little nuances of life that are so private to a person out in the open. You can make fake personalities for the people you pass and theorize about where they are headed with such urgency. You see many outfits that inspire you and make you want to change your persona. I only got to know Baltimore once my friends and I walked a half marathon to the inner harbor and saw all the neighborhoods firsthand. So many new restaurants we have never seen and vintage stores we have yet to be in. walking through the city gives you a new perspective and allows you to feel more connected to the place you live, get out and walk around your city! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Reflections

Tyler Perry’s Madea